Don’t forget to treat yourself on Mother’s Day! How do you treat yourself? It’s simple. Self-care.
I know when we think of self-care we often go straight to thoughts of long spa days, and those are fabulous, but there are simpler ways to do just that. Here are some ideas on ways to spoil yourself without even leaving the house on Mother’s Day. Even better, these ideas are free or quite inexpensive.
Self Care Ideas For Mothers on Mother’s Day
- This one requires your husband/significant other to be involved! Ask your partner to take the kids somewhere for an hour or two so you can have complete silence and alone time!! (Husbands: If there is any lone husband out there reading this. Do this. Don’t ask or have to be asked. Just wake up and say “I’m taking the kids out so you can have some alone time.” You will win Mother’s Day, I promise.)
- Sleep late. Warn your family the night before that no one should bother you and the one will be sleeping in. (Again, husbands, you can totally help with this.)
- Take a bubble bath. A nice, long one. Soak as long as you want.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
- Take a walk or a hike.
- Enjoy your favorite hobby. Whether you enjoy knitting, painting, baking, or simply doing a crossword puzzle, carve out some time to do just that.
- Turn off your cell phone and enjoy no interruptions.
- Call your best friend for a long chat.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Light a candle that has your favorite scent.
- Read one of your favorite books.
- Have a glass of wine.
- Enjoy your favorite dessert.
- Take a nap.
- Order a pizza or delivery and save yourself the effort of cooking.
- Watch your favorite TV shows.
- Do some online shopping – at least some window-shopping.
- Do all of the above!
- Just do nothing at all. Have the laziest day ever!
Sure, some of these self-care options seem simple enough, but do we really take the time to do them for ourselves? When was the last time you were alone long enough to read a chapter of your favorite book or soak in your tub?
Being a mother can be non-stop and often we forget to check in with ourselves. Make sure that you stop and take the time to appreciate and love yourself. Show yourself a little self-care on Mother’s Day!
Of course, don’t leave self-care to once a year. Here are some other ways to practice self-care!